Here’s a not-too-philosophical piece that Laura wrote and which entertained us both no end in Patagonia:
One December, I was leaving Coire Cas car park ready to climb Ben Macdui when I saw a group of Japanese tourists wearing city clothes and carrying Sainsburys’ bags setting off up Cairngorm. They made a sharp contrast to my axes and crampons.
Today we had a similar encounter when we (laden with tent, stove and several days’ food) passed a girl carrying nowt but a sandwich bag containing a bottle of water and a biscuit.
We were on a popular path, but she still seemed laughably underprepared. It led to a conversation about inappropriate items – one food, one drink – to take on a winter skills course. Here are a few of the best:
- Cherry Panda Pop and a Chomp
- Flask of Bovril and some Chewits
- Mars Milk and a packet of Wrigleys Double Mint
- Carton of Ribena and a choc ice
- Strawberry Yop and some Frazzles
- Dehydration ration pack and an apple (ala Sam McConnell)
- Can of Lilt and some Fishermen’s Friends
- Chocolate Frijj and a boiled egg
Oh, and the Japanese toursts on Cairngorm? They arrived back to the carpark at the same time as us a few hours later. Who knows where they’d been.