Congratulations on winning a Next Challenge Grant. There is some guidance below on what you can expect and what’s required of you.
If you accept the grant money then the only things I ask are:
- Write a blog post for this website
- Send me some photos that I can use
- Help promote the grant in future (e.g. tell your friends, plug on social media and/or include a link to The Next Challenge Grant page on your website, if you have one)
Geting the money
- Let me know when you need the money (e.g. a month before your trip or when you need to pay for something upfront)
- Money can be sent to UK bank accounts in pounds sterling (GBP) or to a PayPal account in any currency
- Bank accounts: send me your bank account number, sort code and the name of your bank
- PayPal: send me the email address for your account and the currency you would like (there is sometimes a small fee for conversion which will be subtracted from your award)
- If you’ve been offered any sponsored equipment as part of your grant then you should liaise directly with whoever is offering it.
- If you have any problems getting the sponsored equipment then let me know.
- If you are borrowing any kit from me, I will pay the postage to you and you will need to pay for return postage (you can use money from the grant if you like).
- Please return any kit by recorded delivery.
Writing your blog post
- Should be written within one month of your return
- Must be original (i.e. not already posted elsewhere)
- 500 – 1,000 words
- Format: Word document, Google Doc or text in an email
- Please include a sentence to say ‘thank you’ to those that donated to the grant (I’ll email it to them when I upload your blog)
- Please send 5-10 photos
- Attach them separately to an email (rather than embedding them in a document)
- Please include plenty of pictures of yourself – don’t be shy! – supporters like to see the people behind the challenges
- If you want the photos positioned in particular places in your article, just reference the file within the text of your piece (e.g. “Then we arrived at the campsite [insert photo_1.jpg here]”)
- If you are into photo editing then please send as JPEGs, at a width of 815 pixels, at 95% compression or lower
- Ideally, name the files ‘firstname-surname-trip-description-1.jpg’ (e.g. ‘elise-downing-running-coast-4.jpg’)
- If you have a video you would like to include then just send me the link to it on YouTube/Vimeo. Please don’t send me the original file.
- If you have footage that you would like made into a film for you, EpicMakers – Next Challenge Discount offer all grant winners a 30% discount. (You can see the video they made for me here).
If your plans change
- Let me know if your idea or dates change.
- Expeditions are complicated and so is life. I understand that plans may change. That’s OK but please let me know as soon as possible.
If you cancel your trip
- If you cancel your trip before departure then let me know as soon as possible. If you’ve already received the money then you will need to send it back so I can fund someone else’s adventure next year.
- If your trip is cut short for whatever reason then just let me know when you’re back home and safe.