Below you can find out about all of the people who have won The Next Challenge Grant.
Shortlisting was stopped after 2018
Winners of The Next Challenge Grant
Click a link below to read stories from winners who have reported back after completing their adventures.
You can see all their reports here.
|2019||Mark Holmes||Swimming escapes from the UK's three prison islands||£300||TBC - Summer 2020|
|2019||Mike Creighton||Running across all of the UK's national parks||£200||Ongoing|
|2019||Jo Laird||Paddle-boarding the biggest lakes in England, Scotland and Wales||£200||Completed|
|2019||Wyatt Stevens||Walking across the Kolyma mountain range, Russia||£200||Completed|
|2019||Valerie Rachel||Running the Trans-Labrador Highway||£200||TBC - August 2020|
|2019||Mark Liney||Fatbiking the Hardangervidda, Norway||£200||Completed|
|2019||Marjorie Armijos||Walking the Staffordshire Way with a baby||£100||TBC|
|2019||David Wilson||Circumnavigating Northumberland in 80 hours||£100||TBC - April 2020|
|2019||Sue Manning||Crossing Scotland with a pony||£100||Completed|
|2019||Ruth Thomas||Running the Thames Path||£100||TBC - Summer 2020|
|2019||Natalie Insall||Teenager walking from the Lakes to the Dales||£50||Completed|
|2018||Eilidh Archibald||Three munros with a three year old||£60||Ongoing|
|2018||Oli Warlow||Climbing up and cycling between every route in the Classic Rock guide book||£400||Completed|
|2018||Anna Blackwell||Kayaking to the Black Sea||£200||Completed|
|2018||Emma Holmes||Cycle touring the Netherlands in search of new food technologies||£100||TBC - Summer 2020|
|2018||George Shelton||Running the Isle of Man 'TT' route||£100||Completed|
|2018||Noel Regachuelo||Bikepacking across the Philippines||£100||Completed|
|2018||Pip Franks||Teenager canoeing the River Spey||£100||Completed|
|2018||Sam Hewlings||Hiking Britain's watersheed||£100||Camping mat||Completed|
|2018||Geraint Hill||Cycling from the Arctic to Baltic, exploring Every Man’s Right||£100||Bikepacking bags||Completed|
|2018||Val Ismaili||Kayaking the Drin||£100||Completed|
|2018||Eric Mbotiji||Walking up Mount Cameroon||£100||Completed|
|2018||Matúš Seči||Circumnavigating Gotland||£100||Completed|
|2018||Emily Woodhouse||Walking up all of the Dartmor tors||£100||Completed|
|2018||William Berg||Teenagers walking the Tour du Mont Blanc||£100||Completed|
|2018||Jhenelle Williams||Cycling across Jamaica||£100||Completed|
|2018||Hajo Spaethe||An 'IronMan' triathlon in the Canadian Rockies||£50||Completed|
|2017||Lisa & Libby||Cycling between and running up all the Munros||£600||Completed|
|2017||Robin Lewis||Walking Japan's tsunami-affected coast line||£400||Completed|
|2017||Tina Page||Running the Three Peaks||£200||Completed|
|2017||Guru and family||Walking in the Western Ghats||£100||Completed|
|2017||Emily and Lua Fitzherbert||Paddling boarding every lake in the Lake District||£100||Ongoing|
|2017||Joshua Powell||Running a marathon at Marathon in ancient Greek armour||£100||Completed|
|2017||Dan Keeley||Running from Rome to home (England)||£100||Stove, camping mat||Completed|
|2017||Valeriy Darmostuk||Walking the Tendrivska spit||£100||Completed|
|2017||Joanne McCallum||Stand-up paddle boarding across Lough Neagh||£60||Completed|
|2017||Megan Cumberlidge||Bikepacking the GR247 in Andalusia||£50||Bikepacking bags||Completed|
|2016||Nick Stanton||Cycling the Berlin Wall||£65||Completed|
|2016||Ed March-Shawcross||Isle of Arran triathlon||£100||Completed|
|2016||Kerry Anne Mairs||Five bothies with a five year old||£100||Completed|
|2016||Kate Symonds-Joy||One woman opera in a lighthouse||£200||Completed|
|2016||Chase Lewine||Walking the length of New Zealand||£200||Completed|
|2016||Karl Booth||Mountain biking to the north of Europe||£150||Completed|
|2016||Thomas Hart||Walking barefoot across South Africa||£200||Completed|
|2016||Charlie+Sam King||Teenager and brother cycling across Europe||£200||Completed|
|2016||Graham Clarke||Paddling a self-made raft down the Shannon||£100||Completed|
|2016||Jenny Tough||Running across the Tien Shan, Kyrgyzstan||£100||Completed|
|2016||Dylan Haskin||Cycling a beach cruiser around the coast of Costa Rica||£150||Stanforth bike||Completed|
|2016||Bex Band||London Loop on a kick scooter||£100||Completed|
|2016||Amanda McDonnell||Running across the Channel Islands||£100||Completed|
|2016||Heather Jones||Welsh Three Peaks hike, bike and swim||Stanforth bike||Completed|
|2016||Nate Freeman||Walking 50 miles to work||Keen boots||Completed|
|2015||Richard Fairbrother||Walking the Great Wall in winter||£125||Completed|
|2015||Elise Downing||Running 5,000 miles around the coast of Great Britain||£800||Completed|
|2015||Abbie Barnes||Walking all the National Trails||£200||Completed|
|2015||Mikey Bartley||Cycling eight times up Alpe d'Huez||£100||Completed|
|2015||Ben & Jude||Packrafting the Caledonian canal||£100||Completed|
|2015||George Kefford||Teenagers crossing Stradbroke island||£70||Completed|
|2015||Carmen Braun||100 nights camping in a year||Keen boots||Completed|
- 2018: Gemma Bassett, hiking the Via Dinarica. Cancelled due to injury and personal reasons.
- 2018: Paul Newby, walking the worst-selling Ordnance Survey map. Stopped replying to my emails.
- 2018: Maxence Innegraeve, cycling the Paris suburbs. Cancelled due to long-term injury.
- 2017: Gary Marshall, swimming the Yorkshire coastline. Cancelled due to personal reasons.
- 2017: Daniel and Fernando, Camino de Santiago on a tandem. Stopped replying to my emails.
- 2017: Ivaylo, circumnavigating Menorca on foot. Cancelled due to personal reasons.
- 2017: Gordon Macrae, walking the length of Long Island. Left the country.
- 2017: Julia Wickham, walking the length of Portugal. Cancelled due to personal reasons.
- 2017: Tom and Susannah Britten, 12 adventures with a newborn. Illness and injury.
- 2016: Roger Rayner, students building bamboo bikes and cycling coast-to-coast (£100). Stopped replying to my emails.
- 2016: Jade Tseng, cycling Belle Ile on a tandem (£90). Stopped replying to my emails.
- 2015: Katie Tunn, living on an uninhabited island for a month (£100). Cancelled because she took part in a TV show about living on an uninhabited island!
- 2015: Robinson Ellin, cycling to the Anne Frank Museum (£100). Cancelled due to personal reasons.
No funds were transferred to any cancelled trips. The money pledged is reinvested into future years.
2017 Grant winners
- Lisa & Libby – Cycling and running all the Scottish Munros – £600
- Robin Lewis – Walking Japan’s tsunami-affected coast line – £400
- Tina Page – Running the Three Peaks – £200
- Guru, Druthi, Dyuthi and Adithi – Walking in the Western Ghats – £100
- Tom and Susannah – 12 adventures with a newborn – £100
- Gordon Macrae – Walking the length of Long Island – £100
- Emily and Lua – Paddling boarding every lake in the Lake District – £100
- Daniel and Fernando – Cycling Camino De Santiago on a tandem – £100
- Joshua Powell – Running a marathon at Marathon in ancient Greek armour – £100
- Dan Keeley – Running from Rome to home (England) – £100 + kit
- Valeriy Darmostuk – Walking the Tendrivska spit – £100
- Ivaylo Gueorgiev – Circumnavigating Menorca on foot – £100
- Gary Marshall – Swimming the Yorkshire coastline – £100
- Joanne McCallum – Stand-up paddle boarding across Lough Neagh – £60 (full amount)
- Megan Cumberlidge – Bikepacking the GR247 in Andalusia – £50 + kit
- Julia Wickham – Hiking the length of Portugal – £50 + kit
2016 Grant winners
Winners of The Next Challenge Grant in 2016 were:
- Nick Stanton – Cycling the Berlin Wall (£65)
- Jade Tseng – Pedalling the coast of Belle Ile on a tandem (£90)
- Ed March-Shawcross – Scottish triathlon in miniature (£100)
- Kerry-Anne Mairs – 5 nights in 5 bothies with a 5 year old (£100)
- Kate Symonds-Joy – cycling to the northernmost lighthouse in the UK to perform an opera (£200)
- Chase Lewine – Death Valley to Mount Whitney (£200)
- Karl Booth – Mountain biking to the top of Europe (£150)
- Roger Rayner – Building bamboo bikes with school kids and cycling coast-to-coast (£100)
- Thomas Hart – Walking barefoot across South Africa (£200)
- Charlie & Sam King – Two brothers cycling across Europe (£200)
- Graham Clarke – Paddling the River Shannon on a home-made raft (£100)
- Jenny Tough – Running across Kyrgyzstan (£100)
- Dylan Haskin – Cycling around Costa Rica on a beach cruiser (£150)
- Bex Band – The London Loop on a Scooter (£100)
- Amanda McDonnell – Running across the Channel Islands (£100)
- Heather Jones – Hike, bike and swim the Welsh Three Peaks (Kibo bike)
- Nate Freeman – Walking 50 miles to work (Keen boots)
2015 Grant winners
The Next Challenge Grant first ran in 2015. The winners were:
- Elise Downing – Running the Coast of Great Britain (£800)
- George & Jaxson – Crossing Stradbroke Island – £70
- Richard Fairbrother – Great Wall Winter Walk – £125
- Mikey Bartley – Five Ascents of Alp d’Huez on a Fixed Gear Bike – £100
- Ben Smith & Judith Pope – Pakrafting the Caledonian Canal – £100
- Katie Tunn – A Month on an Uninhabited Island – £100
- Robison Ellin – 48 Hour Cycle to/from Anne Frank Museum – £100
- Abbie Barns – Walking all the National Trails – £200
- Sebastian Schweizer – Swimming the Gulf of Orosei – Kit only
- Carmen Braun – 100 Nights’ Camping in a Calendar Year – Kit only