If work is a prison then let the lunch hour be your escape.
Like your job, hate your job, love it or just tolerate it, that one hour slot at lunch is your chance to break free. Your mission this month, should you choose to accept it, is to capitalise on your lunchbreak, escape your workplace and cram in as much as possible.
Here are some ideas:
- See how far away from your office you can get in the allocated time (walk, run, bus, cycle)
- Visit that exhibition, park, new shop or museum you’d never considered an opportunity for a lunch break (is it really too far away?)
- Meet up with that friend who works nearby but you never actually find the time to see (go somewhere exciting!)
- Eat somewhere different, trek to a new area with your sandwiches, mission it on public transport to that cafe you were recommended
The specifics don’t matter. Just get out there and maximise your time.
If you are thinking:
- “I have too much work to take a lunchbreak” then consider that you only need to do this ONCE in the next month.
- “I only get 45 / 30 / X minutes, there’s not enough time” that doesn’t matter. A 15 minute power walk is still a power walk; 20 minutes snatched with a friend is still time well spent.
- “I won’t have time to eat / check my emails / go to the gym” then go hungry, get behind on your emails and skip a day’s training. This is a one off excuse to do something different, novel and exciting. Life can wait an hour.
I want you to go out on your adventure and I want you to report back.
How far did you get? Did you make it to the exhibition or did you get completely lost? Was that bagel shop worth the rush to get there? Did you make it back in time or did you have to sneak in without being noticed?
Go have your adventures and let me know how you get on with the comments form below.
This is an everyday adventure and it is here for you to try.
There are no rules, constraints or conditions. Treat this as a spark for your imagination. Use it as an injection of excitement into your daily routine.
Now, what are you waiting for…? Go have an adventure!