It’s just one of many charity car rallies that exist. They don’t generally require much time (some are just long weekends), money (many have limits on the cost of your vehicle) or expertise (the less you know about cars, the more fun you’re likely to have!).
So, if you fancy a bit of adventure but are short on cash or money, here are some rally websites to get you thinking:
- Scally Rally – races to Italy, Norway and Ireland in vehicles costing under £100
- Mongol Rally – one of the most well-known events, driving a 1-litre engine from London to Ulaanbaatar (also check The Adventurists, who organise a number of similar events)
- Mongolia Charity Rally – not to be confused with the above, this is a similar event which aims for slightly nicer cars (e.g. 4x4s and ambulances) to be left in Mongolia with the NGO ‘Go Help’
- The Italian Job – 10 days in a mini driving through Italy
- Motoscape Rally – routes to Italy and Poland with the cushy addition of having accommodation arranged for you
My friends are raising money for a school bursary fund. You can read about it and donate here.