At last weekend’s Cycle Touring Festival, Laura led an impromptu discussion about people’s favourite shorter cycling routes: the best places for a week or so’s pedalling, mostly starting from the UK or in Europe.
Here’s the top 16 from the session (special thanks to Anup for typing them up for us!):
- Dubrovnik, Croatia to Venice, Italy
- Geneva, Switzerland to Nice, France
- Oban to Unst on Shetland Isles, Scotland
- North-south on the ‘Romantic Road’ (Romantic Strasse) in the Black Forrest, Germany
- Wherever you live in the UK to Amsterdam and back
- Across the Outer Hebrides
- Across South Korea (a cyclists’ paradise!)
- San Francisco to Los Angeles
- Around Iceland
- Exeter to Penzance, along the coast
- Using the European Bike Express
- St Malo to Narbonne, returning on the Bike Bus. A popular EuroVelo route (French Sustrans)
- London to Paris, via Newhaven-Dieppe, using the Avenue Verte
- The Danube Trail, Austria
- Dubai, UAE, to Muscat, Oman
- UK Coast to coast then back along Hadrians Wall
What have we missed?
How about a ferry to Cherbourg and then cycle to the D-Day beaches and the war graves for a short cycle tour? Historically interesting and seeing all the graves in the cemeteries is very moving and brings home war’s utter futility and waste of young lives.
Nice one. Thanks Chris.
A classic local to me is the Devon C2C from Ilfracombe to Plymouth.. 70% on dissused railways. Stunning scenery & gentle gradients???
I think Sustrans have 6 C2C northern routes.. I’ve ridden Way of Roses & Trans Pennine Trail, but 4 more to do!
Finally the Pennine Cycleway from Nr Derby to Berwick Upon Tweed… 320 miles along the spine of England????
Thanks Phil. I can second the Devon Coast-to-Coast. Cracking route!
Forgot this one! Lon Las Cymru from Holyhead to Cardiff or Chepstow…. I rode from Devon to Chepstow & then to Holyhead through stunning Welsh scenery & came back via the coast to St David’s & then the Celtic Way back to Chepstow & then home in Devon… Highly recommended???