I am delighted to reveal the wonderful adventure ideas that have made it onto our shortlist for the expedition grant.
We had over 1,300 applications and I’ve had the unenviable task of narrowing that down to less than 50. They’ve all now been invited to fill out a more detailed application form (the initial one was very short). I’ll then interview some of them and ultimately award some money to the winners.
There is more to each of these adventures than just the taglines but hopefully you’ll get a flavour of the sort of applications we’ve had.
Here you go…
The Next Challenge Expedition Grant – Shortlist 2015
- Running Thailand top to tip, 2,050 km in 30 days
- Build a coracle, and take it down the river Severn from source to sea
- To cycle in every European sovereign state next year
- The FIRST uruguayan mountain expedition
- Norway in a Nutshell’ Tri challenge, paddle the whole coast S- N, bike back down the length of Norway and climb the highest peaks in each region I travel through.
- Trekking the route of the proposed Nicaragua Canal
- Running the pennine way in 10 days – roughly a marathon a day.
- Tien Shan Yurt to Yurt touring
- One last big father/son adventure. Helping him achieve a dream of hiking the Canadian Rockies.
- Stand Up Paddle Board across the English Channel
- Walking Paris to Phnom Penh
- First solo winter traverse of 65 km stretch of remote Ming Dynasty Great Wall in Hebei & Beijing
- Documentary film about hiking the entirety of Kungsleden
- Crossing Colombia by horse and paraglider
- Pakraft the Caledonian canal from west to east.
- Stradbroke Island Hike North to South
- Off road endurance cycling along the length of the Pyrenees
- Climb all of the mountain top finishes of the 2016 Tour de France on a fixed gear track bike
- Follow an unmapped Incan road of stone to its terminus somewhere in the high-altitude jungle of southeast Peru
- A great pedalo ride crossing scotland from east to west through the falkirk canal and finishing in britains only nuclear submarine base ( faslane )
- Running from Eastern Uganda to the The Great Rift Valley, Kenya
- Bikepacking Israel
- Go camping 100 nights of the next 365
- Running the coast of Great Britain; an adventure on home turf.
- Brompton Pilgrimage from Mumbai to Goa spreading my dads ashes.
- Cycle to the Anne Frank museum and back in 48 hours
- Following the footsteps of Jesus Christ through the Holy Land
- A single disabled person travelling to Mount Everest with just his carer
- To climb the highest peaks in the four provinces in Ireland, cycling between them and carrying the bike on my back while climbing.
- Cycling 1700km on a BMX across Bhutan, part of India, into Nepal and finishing at Kathmandu
- Walking the length of the Zambezi river
- Live alone on a small, uninhabited island in the Hebrides for month
- To swim in 7 days along the most wild 40 km of coast in Italy
- Walking in a year as far as possible
- A 1500 mile journey by Elliptigo exploring the UK canal network
- Kayaking Uruguay River, from start to end!
- Long Distance Offroad Bikepacking/Tour of Europe and Surrounding Countries
- A small two-person team (UK male and Iranian female) will attempt a big wall climb on the 600m north face of Alam Kuh (4,848m), the second highest peak in Iran.
- VISIT EVERY SINGLE CANARY ISLAND TRAVELLING FROM ONE ISLAND TO ANOTHER BY KAYAK AND THROUGH THEM RUNNING AND/OR BY BIKE
- To document/video-diary walking every National Trail in the UK
- Swim Butterfly (no wetsuit note) for the entirety of the length of all the lakes in the Lake District
- Walking the entire 150 miles of the Rhodope mountain range in Bulgaria
- Hike across the frozen lake Baikal